Saturday, October 24, 2009

Juxtaposition

So what's with the word "juxtaposition"? I can't stand it. It's just one big, unnecessary word that essentially means the same thing as comparison. In my writing class last quarter, I swear it was used at least five times a day, as if the kids in that class wanted to sound all smart and stuff. "If you look at the juxtaposition between these characters...." UGH! I hated it. Just because you're in college doesn't mean you should go around using fancy words that sound stupid. Personally, I don't even think it made them sound smarter, because smarter people use words that can be understood and related to - otherwise people would never know they are smart; it just would sound like mumbo-jumbo (which is a cool phrase b.t. dubs). So, to sum it all up, I think 'juxtaposition' is an unnecessary english word that is proof that we have way too many words. It is definitely one that shouldn't be used, I mean, just say, "if we compare" or "the comparison between." It is exactly the same thing and doesn't sound as lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment